4/14/12

A Prayer for Humility

Jesus, I need you. I need you to help me to give more of myself to you. I cannot hold to anything of this world; it is all worthless. I want to build treasures in Heaven and to spend eternity with you and I ask that you transform me to be more like you! Help me and encourage me on this: My time here on earth is just a passing; I am here only to serve my purpose you have for me. What greater reward is there than to spend eternity with you? Thank you for what you have done for me though I deserve none of it. Amen.

 This is my prayer from an older post: Transformation. I wanted to write about what Jesus has done for me and through me. I wanted to write about He has done WITH me. He is constantly working with me, molding me, and working in the the intricate details like the potter with clay. Also in the post was this passage of C.S. Lewis' about transformation, the process of killing the old man:
The real Son of God is at your side. He is beginning to turn you into the same kind of thing as Himself. He is beginning...to turn the tin soldier into a live man. The part of you that does not like it is the part that is still tin...Put it right out of your head the idea that these are only fancy ways of saying that Christians are to read what Christ said and try to carry it out - as a man may read what Plato or Marx said and try to carry it out. They mean something much more than that. They mean that a real Person, Christ, here and now, in that very room where you are saying your prayers, is doing things to you...It is a living Man, still as much a man as you, and still as much God as He was when he created the world, really coming and interfering with your very self; killing the old natural self in you and replacing it with the kind of self He has.
 After reading this in a friend's post and praying the above mentioned prayer, I waited on Jesus to start this work in me. I came to realize that He had already been at work on me; it's just that I've been unyielding, just like bad clay that needs to be thrown away. But, instead of throwing the bad clay out, Jesus adds water and starts to work on it again. The water of the Word starts to soften me and I become yielding, yielding to the hands of Jesus. There is significant importance of reading His Word and it isn't just memorization, but the actual sitting down and concentrating on each word.

Before, when I would read the Bible, I would read it at random and hope that something would help. It didn't always help and the verses I read weren't of any significance to the day or circumstances at hand. No matter, it was still important to read it when I did. It was just me sitting on the fence of lukewarmness. I wanted to be a slave of God, but I didn't want to let go of the world and it's pleasures. So, I just straddled the barbed wire fence and it hurt me more than anything else, in fact, Jesus had the pleasure of spitting me out for I was worth nothing to Him. But, thank God! He still loves me despite that and He gives me a chance to yield to Him. I finally have stopped looking for myself or trying to define who I am with the things or my status in this world. I am already defined by God and there is a real name waiting for me in Heaven that defines exactly who I am. The only status God requires of me in this world is that of a lowly servant filled with humility. Even then, if I were to become a ruler of some sort, either President of the U.S. or a large company, I am still required to put on the humility of a lowly servant; it would not have been I myself, but God, that exalted me, either here on earth by status or in heaven, in my humility. The greatest (and upright) leaders are also humble servants.
But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. (Matthew 23:12 NLT)

But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say, "God opposes the proud but favors the humble." (James 4:6 NLT)

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor. (James 4:10 NLT)

So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. (1 Peter 5:6 NLT)
Through my transformation, I ask the Lord daily to walk with me and to remind me each time I need to check myself and my reaction to circumstances and see that it is pride in play. By no means is my pride gone, nope. Not close. I still carry a bit of weight around, but it is less than when I was not in walking communion with God. I ask in my daily walk that I exercise more humility! I ask the Lord to humble me because I have exalted myself, made myself a little higher or a lot higher than others around me.

Sometimes when I think of doing good deeds or helping others in time of need or support, thoughts flash across my mind. These thoughts are sometimes of myself being exalted through my own eyes and through the eyes of others because I do these good deeds. It must not be so. Some people, including myself, are at fault for going and looking for good deeds to do so they may be exalted in the eyes of others. This is not the purpose of practicing humility, neither is it humility! It could be martyr's syndrome. I won't go into detail on that, though. The Scriptures above say to humble yourselves first, and you will be exalted. God will bring others to me and to you, He will bring opportunities to you, the Holy Spirit will nudge you to take action and help someone in need, Jesus will speak through you. Only God can and will exalt a humble man and though your exaltation may not be a rank of higher position in an earthly job, but you will be exalted to a very high position in God's eyes and in heaven. That matters more than anything else on earth and you will have respect as a humble man here on earth. I want that. I don't want a high rank at my job because I fought my way there or I thought I was better at some tasks than others. I just want to serve the company and give them what they want provided it isn't contrary to any of God's laws. If I am projected to a higher rank, so be it. I shall serve in my position with humility and serve my boss and co-workers and God will take care of the rest.

Let God deal with you. He only asks you to be humble. A question: How am I to conquer this pride? The answer is simple. Two things. Do what God says is your work: Humble yourself. Trust Him to do what He says is His work: He will exalt you. You can read the excerpt to this question by clicking the link above.


Appreciate a little humor.

So, yes, Jesus has been working with me, on me, and through me. I am a different person today and I continue to let Jesus do His work. It is taking time. I have to consciously think about God and about doing His will. I must obey Him, even when someone would ask me to do something that is against His will. It may cost. Loss or life. I know I'm for God and I will always have Him or be with Him. I have not really run into a situation like that as of yet, but I may. I know the choice I will make. I fear no loss or death. This kind of thinking needs to become a part of life, a good habit. I mustn't let negative thoughts take a dominant place in my mind. The devil loves to throw thoughts like that into my mind and I must battle them, push them aside. Sometimes I can get selfish and I feel like I just want to go Home and be done with the chaos on earth. But God put me here to finish a job, just as He did Jesus. Even Jesus wanted the cup of suffering to be taken away, but He only asked that God's will be done. God's will in Jesus' life had the higher priority.

Pride is the easiest way for the devil to tempt people and it rears an ugly face. I must keep going forward in humility, die to self and live. I am asking God to show me anything that I need to fix, any restitutions, and any walls I need to break down. I want it all fixed now, but it can't be. It takes time. I place my trust in God and continue to walk with Him.

Lord, I ask you to walk with me today and to show me where I need to go and what to do. Thy will be done here on earth as it is in heaven. Only your will matters and the only requirement you have of me is to be a humble servant, filled with humility. Please continue to give me power with Jesus' blood to have victory over struggles and pride. Amen.

No comments: